- What information do we collect?
We collect information relating to you that you have provided to us (for example, by registering with us on one of the Sites, by using the Sites or by purchasing our products or services from us) or that we may have obtained from another source (such as our suppliers or from marketing organisations and credit agencies). Where possible, we will collect the information directly from you. However the method of collecting this information may vary.
We may also collect your personal information from publicly available sources or social networking services to enable us to contact you and offer our products and services to you.
- How do we use your information?
The information that we collect from you may be used by us for a number of purposes connected with our business such as:
- in order to provide you with our services;
- processing and evidencing your orders;
- to manage our customer relationship with you;
- to improve the Sites and other media channels of ours;
- carrying out credit checking (unless we have agreed otherwise);
- billing you (unless you pay by another agreed method) and collecting any debt owed to us by you;
- carrying out any activity in connection with a legal, governmental or regulatory requirement on us or in connection with legal proceedings, crime or fraud prevention, detection or prosecution;
- carrying out activities connected with the running of our business such as quality control, network monitoring, testing and maintenance of computer and other systems and in connection with the transfer of any part of our business in respect of which you are a customer;
- for general administrative and business purposes.
We may further anonymize and aggregate data collected through our website for statistical purposes to help us improve our products and services.
- Sharing your information
There may be times when we disclose your personal information to third parties. If we do this, we will only disclose your information to:
- those who provide to us products or services that support the services that we provide, such as our suppliers and third parties that assist us with our marketing and promotion;
- credit reference agencies, who may share your information with other organisations;
- debt collection agencies or companies, in order to collect any money owing by you to us;
- anyone we transfer our business to in respect of which you are a customer or a potential customer;
- anyone who assists us in protecting the operation of our networks and systems, including the use of monitoring and detection in order to identify potential threats, such as hacking and virus dissemination;
- persons to whom we may be required to pass your information by reason of legal, governmental or regulatory authority including law enforcement agencies;
- aggregated user statistics and other information that does not personally identify you, to third parties such as our advertisers, customers, potential customers and partners;
- any person or organisation as authorised by the Privacy Act 1993.
You can exercise your right to prevent marketing / promotional communications to you by “opting out” of emails or other types of communications we send to you. You may opt out of receiving commercial electronic messages from us by using the unsubscribe facility we provide in our relevant communication. In such cases, we will retain minimum personal data to note that you opted out in order to avoid contacting you again. Please note that even if you opt out from receiving marketing communications, you might still receive administrative communications from us, such as technical updates for our products or services, order confirmations, notifications about your account activities, and other important notices.
When we pass on, transfer or share your personal information in this way, including outside the location where we collect it (e.g. your country, the European Economic Area if your information is collected there, etc), we take steps to ensure it is treated in the same way that we would treat it and that an adequate level of protection can be ensured for your rights in relation to your personal information and data, and where the transfer is otherwise in accordance with relevant privacy and data protection laws.
- How long we store your personal data
We will store your personal data as long as required to fulfill the original purposes for which is has been collected. In some cases, a longer retention may be required or permitted by law or to allow us to pursue our legitimate business interests, conduct audits, comply with our legal obligations or enforce our agreements or resolve any dispute.
A summary of the various reasons to determine our retention period (in relation to your personal data) include:
- how long the data is required to provide you with our products and/or services or to operate our business;
- where you have an account with us, we will keep your data while your account remains active or otherwise as long as we need in order to provide you with our products and/or services;
- where we are subject to a legal, contractual or similar obligation to hold your data.
- Protecting / Access to / Updating your personal information
We will take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we collect, use or disclose is accurate, complete, up-to-date and stored in a secure environment protected from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
- Links to other websites
- Cookies and Facebook Custom Audiences
We may display interest-based ads to you when you are using Facebook through a tool offered by Facebook called the Custom Audience Tool. This tool allows us to personalise our ads based on your shopping experience with us (or otherwise information we obtain from you).
If you would like to Opt OUT of Facebook Audience Ads please contact us on email@example.com.
- Automatically retrieved information
Some information may be automatically retrieved while you access and browse our websites, social media sites or use our apps or other services including:
- Your IP address;
- If you are accessing our website, the domain name that you are accessing the internet from; and
- Your device, and the browser and search engine (if any) that your device uses.
The information automatically retrieved is used in statistical and aggregate formats to assess the effectiveness of and improve our services, and to determine our visitors' preferences and interests (including to provide you with more relevant advertising.
- Residents in the European Economic Area (“EEA”)
Bases for processing (for EEA users):
If you are an individual in the European Economic Area (EEA), we collect and process information about you only where we have legal bases for doing so under applicable EU laws. This means we collect and use your information only where:
We need it to provide you a product or service;
- It satisfies a legitimate interest of ours;
- You give us consent to do so for a specific purpose;
- We need to process your data to comply with legal obligation;
If you have given consent you have the right to change your mind at any time. However a change of consent will only affect the data processing moving forward from this request and it may impact products and services and features we can provide you moving forward.
In addition to the rights listed above, if you are a resident in the EAA, you have the following rights in relation to your personal information (where applicable):
- You have the right to restrict our processing of your personal information where you believe such data to be inaccurate; our processing is unlawful; or that we no longer need to process such data for a particular purpose unless we are not able to delete the data due to a legal or other obligation or because you do not wish for us to delete it.
- You have the right to obtain personal information we hold about you, in a structured, electronic format, and to transmit such data to another data controller, where this is (a) personal information which you have provided to us, and (b) if we are processing that data on the basis of your consent or to perform a contract with you.
- Where the legal justification for our processing of your personal information is our legitimate interest, you have the right to object to such processing on grounds relating to your particular situation. We will abide by your request unless we have compelling legitimate grounds for the processing.
If you have consented to our processing of your personal information, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. This includes cases where you wish to opt out from marketing messages that you receive by using our unsubscribe facility or otherwise contacting us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Companionist is owned and operated by Lacklands LP.